Category Archives: AIR

Using Altova DatabaseSpy with SQLite and AIR

Since I’ve been doing more AIR development lately I’ve had a need to create and modify SQLite databases. I’ve used Microsoft SQL Server and its tools a lot over the years, but I haven’t used a wide variety of database programs. I’ve always been a big fan of Altova’s product line, so I thought I’d check out DatabaseSpy. This is their database editor and I must say I like it a lot. I sugest you try it out. Here is how I got it to work with SQLite:

Continue reading

MN.swf Camp Sold Out

MN.swf Camp sold out in less than three days. We had to limit the attendees to 100 because of space limitations, however, we are currently exploring other venue options. If we can secure a larger venue then we will reopen registration. I suggest you sign up for the mailing list on the conference home page so you can be alerted if registration opens again.

MN.swf Camp is a one day conference in Minneapolis focusing on the Flash Platform for programmers. Its being organized by the MN.swf User Group and FlashBelt.

GZIP-Encoded HTTP Response in Adobe AIR

A common way to reduce the size of data returned over HTTP is to allow the web server to use a GZIP compression on the data. When making requests in a Flash/Flex application hosted in a web browser, the browser actually uncompresses the GZIP-encoded data before its delivered to Flash Player. Therefore, Flash/Flex developers don’t need to worry about GZIP-encoded data since its handled seemlessly behind the scenes. However, when writing an application in AIR, there is no browser to handle the GZIP compression and AIR 1.0 doesn’t have this built-in. (I assume they will add this in a dot release at some point.)

But there is a way to do it manually. The ByteArray in AS3 supports DEFLATE compression. However, you must first remove the header in the GZIP data for this to work properly. In my case, I was making a web service call using the WebService class in Flex. Since I actually needed to get at the raw binary GZIP data returned by the server, I had to change my code to use the low-level URLLoader class that is built-in to Flash Player.

Continue reading